Basic instructions for working with puff pastry:
- When you want to roll out puff pastry, let it sit out of the fridge for about 30 minutes to warm up slightly. Fridge cold dough tends to crack easily when you start rolling.
- Always preheat your oven at 190-200C for a minimum of 15-20min before baking because puff pastry depends on even heat to rise and puff.
- Prick the unbaked puffs all over with a fork, which lets steam escape while baking and and you will get flaky and crispy pastry.
- No need to grease the baking tray.
- Use an egg wash to seal them and brush on the unbaked puffs, it helps your pastry achieve that golden sheen.
- Don’t open the oven during the puffing process, it will deflate the puffs.
How to store puff pastry:
- Keeping the puff pastry cold is the key.
- Keep puff pastry clinged in refrigerator. Properly clinged puff pastry in refrigerator remains good for up to 8 days in summers and 15 days in winters.
- Put your puff pastry in freezer, if you are not going to use it within above mentioned timeframe
- Freezed dough remains good for up to 2 months, and when needed just thaw a day before use. Do not use microwave oven.
Share your tips!
Please use the comments section below to share your feedback or tips. We would love to hear from you!